What we’ll cover today:
- Take your model railroad layout to the MAX with Digitrax EVOX
- What’s included in the EVOX Advanced 5A/8A Starter Set
- Quickstart guide: Digitrax DT602
- Digitrax Evolution Express Benefits & Specs
- EVOX Evolution Express Starter Set reviews
“Take it to the Max” with the Digitrax Evolution Express!
That’s what Digitrax says about the Evolution Express – and indeed, whether you’re running a home or club model railroad layout, this powerful starter set will help you take it to the MAX.
The EVOX Evolution Express Advanced 5A/8A belongs to the Digitrax family of starter sets which also includes these products:
- EVOXD Evolution Express Advanced 5A/8A Duplex Starter Set
- DCS52 Zephyr Express: All-in-one Command Station/Booster/Throttle
Packed with capacity and plenty of bells and whistles, the EVOX Starter Set has everything you need to begin with Advanced Digitrax Command Control. The EVOX Evolution Express Advanced Starter Set includes the DT602 Super LocoNet Throttle, which was originally released in 2020.
What you get with the Evolution Express Advanced 5A/8A Starter Set
Here’s a rundown of what is included in this Digitrax Starter Set:
- The DCS210+ Command Station/Booster with Intelligent AutoReverse*
- DT602 Super LocoNet Throttle
- UP5 Universal Panel
- PS615 Power Supply
- Instruction Manual
*Note that the DCS210+, a combination Command Station & Booster, is not sold separately: it is only available as part of the Evolution Express Starter Set.
Prefer to skip the specs & jump right into the action? Below we’ve summarized a Digitrax DT602 Quickstart video to help you get started right away.
Quickstart: Put the Digitrax DT602 to Work on Your Layout
Digitrax recommends using alkaline, metal hydride or lithium-ion rechargeable AA batteries in your DT602. Once you’ve inserted batteries, it’s easy to get any locomotive rolling:
- To acquire your analog (DC) equipped locomotive, press “Loco,” “0,” and “Loco”.
- To acquire your DCC locomotive, you just need to know the locomotive’s address. Hit “Loco,” “3,” and “Loco” again.
Whether you’re running a DC or DCC locomotive, simply turn the throttle knob to increase the speed. To stop the locomotive, turn the throttle knob back to zero. How easy is that?!
- Works with compatible LocoNet systems
- Easy to read color 2.4” LCD Display Screen
- Advanced menu system and displays
- Built-in scrolling help and prompting
- Soft ON/OFF switch, with no OFF power-drain
- Advanced display Power Saving for longer wireless battery operation
- Say goodbye to 9V batteries! Throttles are now powered in wireless modes by 3 AA cells (can use rechargeable AA batteries)
- Available in standard tethered or Radio Duplex
- Duplex Scan for available Networks and radio signal strength. Run without cords!
- All throttles come with a LocoNet cord that can be unplugged, and is replaceable
- Dual throttle controls let you control two locos simultaneously
- Run locomotives with “encoder click” knobs for both speed and direction control
- Full numeric keypad makes loco selection simple
- Control light and sound effects functions with the press of a button
- Control 29 functions (F0-F28).
- Function active/inactive indicators
- Convenient step-by-step throttle option set up
- Supports simplified decoder programming
- Easy 2- or 4-digit addressing setup
- Over 9,000 locomotive decoder addresses
- Supports turnout and stationary decoder control
- Over 2000 turnout decoder addresses
- Fast clock display
- Recall feature
- Advanced Route editor
- USB Interface
Big Model Railroad Layout? Digitrax Has the Capacity You Need
- Run up to 100 addresses at the same time on your system.
- Run up to 100 throttles at the same time on your system.
Over 9000 Locomotive Addresses
- Address 00 for operation of one loco or MU consist without decoders
- Two Digit Addressing is easy to use. (Address 01-127)
- Four Digit Addressing lets you use the road number of your engines as their addresses. (Address 0128-9000+)
5 or 8 Amps of Power to Run More Trains
- Selectable Scale Voltage for Safe Operation in ALL Scales
- Customizable Voltage Settings
- 5 amps of power with included PS615 power supply
- 8 amps with PS2012E power supply (sold separately)
- Control 29 functions (F0-F28).
- Function 2 is a special non-latching key that can be used to sound the horn for as long as the key is held down.
- Constant brightness lighting. Headlights can be directional or independently controlled (depending on decoder capabilities).
Two DCC Outputs are Better than One!
- Use one output for programming decoders while the other runs the layout. No need to shut down the layout to program decoders!
- Use one output for a braking section while the other runs the layout.
- Built in read/write programmer lets you program and read back CV values.
- Supports Paged programming (Digitrax preferred method). Also supports direct, register and ops mode programming
- Supports Universal consisting (Digitrax preferred method). Allows ALL locos to be consisted prototypically, even analog locos.
- Both Advanced consisting and Basic consisting
- Nested consisting where consists can be consisted together (how’s that for a tongue twister…)
Stationary Decoders, Turnout Control & Turnout Position Reporting
- Access to stationary decoder control for turnouts and other devices.
- DT602 reports turnout position based on last command sent.
- Control 2000+ stationary decoder addresses.
- Turnout List/Route capability to simplify complex yard operations.
- EZ routes button for simplified Command Station route programming
Customizable System Options
- Turn audible warnings on or off.
- Set up purging options.
- Multi-format command station mode.
- Loco Reset button for easy system purging
UP5 Universal Panel
- Makes LocoNet hook up simple!
- 2 LocoNet jacks for hooking up your LocoNet network.
- 3 throttle jacks for hooking up throttles and other non-RailSync devices.
- Evolution is just the beginning for large, complex layouts that emphasize prototypical operations.
- With LocoNet you can add more boosters, throttles, power management, detection, transponding, signaling and much more.
- DCS210+ comes with 3 LocoNet ports for easy expandability and a USB interface!
Other Advanced Features
- IPL updatable firmware for continued product improvements
- Device Query and Device Statistics to help with troubleshooting
- Input Mode to help set up detection on your layout
- Uses Expanded slots
So, what do others have to say about this popular Digitrax Starter Set? As with many Digitrax products, the EVOX Evolution Express Advanced 5A/8A Starter Set receives mostly favorable reviews.
Here are 6 common positives model railroaders often cite about the DT602:
- No more 9V batteries, which have been replaced by AA instead
- More user-friendly modern, ergonomic design with fewer keys than previous models
- Consisting is easy (ALL locos can be consisted prototypically, even analog ones)
- Simple 2-digit addressing, or 4-digit addressing if you wish
- Scalability to grow as you see fit; is able to handle even very large layouts
- The DCS210+ has a convenient USB interface
For those of you who are upgrading from previous Digitrax models, there may be a bit of an adjustment phase as you get used to the newer design. Some users on model railroad forums said they missed the option to increase the speed by 1-step increments via a single click plus or minus button.
Overall, though, most hobbyists are happy to upgrade from Digitrax’s older previous models, which many said felt like carrying around a 1980s TV remote.
Now that’s an improvement 😉
Nightwatch Trains is proud to be an authorized dealer of quality Digitrax DCC & Sound products. See what we have in stock & ready to ship now.